Quote of the Moment

"It's never wrong to hope, Byx," said my mother. "Unless the truth says otherwise."
- from Endling #1: The Last, by Katherine Applegate

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Tech Support Tag - Week 3

So it's been three weeks since I first had problems with my website. I still cannot publish to the /dreamspire subdomain. I still cannot get any help from tech support. So I'm on to Plan B: creating a new (third) subdomain. If this screws up my existing /skyhunt subdomain (working fine, but possibly at the cost of the /dreamspire subdomain), then I'll know it's a problem with IPowerWeb and can start yelling at them again via a brand-new help ticket. Usually IPowerWeb's not this clueless, but I've run out of ways to explain the problem and they don't appear to be listening anymore. As far as they're concerned, resetting my passwords fixed everything. (My personal favorite suggestion is their insistence that I add an index.htm page to the subdomain that I cannot update. How am I supposed to add it, by carrier pigeon? Yeesh...)

What does it mean to you, the average websurfer who may or may not visit my sites? Well, for one thing, it means I may have a temporary interruption in service before Monday (that being the tail end of the 24-48 hour window they give for setting up a subdomain.) It also means that the Skyhaven Hunt return (on its brand-new subdomain) has been pushed back to August; I did not anticipate having to spend three weeks wrestling with a balking site host, so my progress has ground to a complete halt until I can get everything up and running properly. On the plus side, this is giving me a bit more thinking time to hammer out exactly what I'm doing and where I'm going with the revamp.

Anyway, I thought I'd let all none of you who were wondering what's up with the site and the delayed Hunt return. (And, yeah, I know I was tagged for a meme... I'll get to it in a bit, after I've sorted out my site.)

UPDATE - It's Monday afternoon. Operation Subdomain has proven a complete success! I can update to the new address, and I can still update to everything else! I have transferred my links to Brightdreamer Books & More to the new subdomain, and later I will be attempting to delete the old /dreamspire subdomain.
I suppose I have no more excuses to put off Skyhaven Hunt work, now, do I?

No comments: