Quote of the Moment

"It's never wrong to hope, Byx," said my mother. "Unless the truth says otherwise."
- from Endling #1: The Last, by Katherine Applegate

Friday, April 13, 2007

Limbo

I suppose I should've expected this... the moment I made my decision to get a new computer, this one, until now a remarkably reliable machine, developed some very disturbing quirks. At best, it's just a battery, but I've never had one go down this fast before, nor have I had a bad battery cause the computer to forget its own CPU on three occasions. Either way, originally I was going to try coordinating schedules with my busy uncle; he wants to buy a computer but is intimidated by the whole process, so he was going to ride along when I went to order mine. Now, I no longer have the luxury of time. I need a new computer, and I need it now.

In a way, this is a good thing. First off, coordinating anything with this particular relative has always been a particularly tricky proposition. He is one of those people who spends more time at his job than in his own home, and seems just as content to keep it that way (or rather, is more fearful of the unknown devils that await should he attempt a course correction at this stage of the game.) Secondly, I've been stuck in limbo waiting for said coordination to occur. I don't want to start the Skyhaven Hunt rebuilding only to have something go Horribly Wrong during the transfer and have to start all over from scratch. (That's why I wanted a relatively recent update online, as a last-resort backup copy.) Speaking of Skyhaven, I wanted to get more jewelwings and gargoyles done up, but again it's not something I can do on a computer that's on its way out. I can't really get too immersed in writing, knowing that I'll be thrown off of whatever schedule I manage to establish when I have to reload Word and all my background info files. I can't even install new programs, especially when I have no fewer than four disks waiting eagerly for a computer capable of meeting their specs.

So, anyway, I'll be spending this weekend digging up all the essential disks and documentation I want/need to go to the new computer, and on Monday I hope/plan to order the new computer. My sister got hers the next day, so that gives me Tuesday to play with the thing before heading back to work on Wednesday. I sincerely hope to have most everything back to "normal" by next weekend, but if I vanish for a prolonged time, now you'll have a good idea of what's going on.

Wish me luck, and hopefully I'll be seeing you on the far side of the upgrade soon...

2 comments:

Jade said...

Relying on family members to coordinate things is a pain in the bahooty, it sounds like your current computer didn't even like the sound of it and is giving you just enough trouble encourage you to get this thing done already.

Good Luck! :D

PeppyPilotGirl said...

Good luck!!
and, yeah, ITA w/Jade - best to just do it on your own!