Quote of the Moment

"It's never wrong to hope, Byx," said my mother. "Unless the truth says otherwise."
- from Endling #1: The Last, by Katherine Applegate

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

End of the Road

First off, Happy Square Root Day!

And now, on a less jubilant note...

The Taurus was due to have a small leak in the transmission repaired today. The cost, however, was close to what the car was worth on the open market. So it came home as-is.

And we still can't replicate the antifreeze problem reliably, though we did call the mechanics to let them know that, no, they didn't fix it right and they should expect the Taurus back at any time when we have something more definitive.

There appears to be no rhyme or reason to the increasing problem of rough starts and idle RPM dips.

All this means one thing: After nineteen years, the Mighty Taurus is officially coming to the end of the road.

With fluid checking and some hoping and praying, it'll last me long enough to get another car.

Guess I better figure out what kind of auto loan the credit union will pre-approve me for. Oh, yeah, and I'd better secure more income to make car and insurance payments.

I can't say I didn't see it coming, but still...

3 comments:

Jade said...

Dang.

I remember coming to the same realization with my VW...it's a rough conclusion to come to.

I'll let you know if I see any deals around on a new (to you) car.

Good luck!

Brightdreamer said...

Jade - Actually, we've only had the Taurus for fourteen years of its nineteen, but yeah... not an easy conclusion. It may not be toast yet, but it's definitely in the toaster.

As for replacements, I hope to get something for under ten grand (pre-approved loan pending - I need to do that ASAP), preferrably 2006 or newer (because the credit union seems to give better interest rates on "new car" loans, and their cutoff for "new" is 2006.)

worings - things one worries about.

PeppyPilotGirl said...

I remember when that happened with my Pontiac T-1000. Sucks.

I'll send good vibes your way.

dingless - what your new car hopefully will be.