Quote of the Moment

"It's never wrong to hope, Byx," said my mother. "Unless the truth says otherwise."
- from Endling #1: The Last, by Katherine Applegate

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Operation Machete - Phase 1 Complete

Well, I just posted the latest site update. Skyhaven Adoptions now has a new look, the Skyhaven Hunt is temporarily closed for renovations, and Brightdreamer Books & More now is a proud affiliate of Amazon.com rather than Barnes & Noble. Not too terribly bad for two months' work, if I do say so myself... (I say this, naturally, knowing my own tendency toward laziness. Heck, accomplishing anything at all in two months isn't too terribly bad by my standards.)

What's next? Well, the Hunt needs rebuilding, for starters. I already have a few evil ideas about its new incarnation, most notably in the graphics department. To give you a hint, one of my more recent purchases was a (discounted) copy of Bryce 5.5, a 3D rendering program that promises to allow me to create entire realistic worlds right on my own computer. Whether or not it lives up to the box hype I'll find out when I install it, and I won't install it until I get a new computer. (I won't get that, ideally, until some time in April. I'm still earning the money to pay for it, for one thing, and I'm waiting to see if the store I plan to buy it from ever resolves the problems that my sister is having with her new machine from them. Hers is apparently the only one in the batch with these issues, but she had some rather special specs, and the motherboard is apparently somewhat tricky about special specs.) Yes, I bought a program before I have the computer to run it properly. I already have a game that's waiting for the new machine (Paradise), too, and I have a sneaking suspicion that my sister will convince me that I'll need my own copy of The Sims 2 to keep Bryce and Paradise company on my big new hard drive. I call it planning ahead... yeah, that's it. Planning ahead...

I also need to get my own life in gear. I've had my new job for about two months now. Part of the conditions I asked the universe for concerning this new job was that it would enable me to successfully pursue my own creative endeavors. I admit I haven't exactly been diligent about that end of the deal, and the only one I can ultimately blame for that is myself. The job itself is only three days a week, and it's not exactly work you take home with you (unless you check out a book while you're there - yes, I can check out library material if it doesn't have a hold tag and the Great Machine hasn't scanned it into the system. Pretty cool, huh?) Now that I'm more or less certain I won't be kicked out of the job anytime soon, I need to grit my teeth and start working on those oh-so-nebulous dreams of mine. I mean the dreams of walking into a bookstore and seeing my stories on the shelf, or creating my own illustrations for said stories, not the dreams where I'm being chased by the school bus or wandering through a gaming world.

Well, no, blogging isn't earning money for a new computer, nor is it getting me any closer to anything resembling a dream, is it? Guess I ought to sign off for now and get back to work...

2 comments:

PeppyPilotGirl said...

Actually, I think buying software before you have the machine to run it has a touch of genius about it. It certainly is an incentive to keep focused on earning the new computer!

And, yeah, don't you hate it when life says, "Ok, I met your criteria - have at it!"

Jade said...

Blogging can be a good place to organize your thoughts and keep yourself in check. A lot of times the reason I blog about work (even though I sound like a broken record) is because I'm still beating it into my own head that I need to get myself together better - somehow writing it down makes it more real rather than just thinking it in my head and ignoring it.