Quote of the Moment

"It's never wrong to hope, Byx," said my mother. "Unless the truth says otherwise."
- from Endling #1: The Last, by Katherine Applegate

Friday, January 02, 2009

Eh, what the hey - I'll try a meme...

Yep, two days into the new year and I'm already finding ways to not do things. Some things never change...

Thus far, I haven't had a clear read on how 2009 is going to go. 2008 let me know pretty early on it was going to be lousy, but thus far 2009's playing its cards pretty close to its chest. At least nothing horrendous has happened yet (knock on laminate wood substitute here.)

Okay, on to the meme, from PPG's blog... (Questions in red.)

1: What is your ultimate goal in life? Are you working toward it? If so, how is your progress? If not, why not?
Hmm, that's a toughie. I don't know that I have an ultimate goal, which may explain why I'm having such a hard time working towards it. I'd like to be published as a fantasy author someday. I'd like to be a decent artist. Mostly, I'd like to figure out what it is I'd like to do.
As for how I'm progressing... I'm 33, I've only finished two stories in five or more years, and I haven't made measurable art progress in over two years. Does that answer your question?

2:
What would you die for? Why (or why not)?
Well, I'd expect I'd die when my physical body could no longer sustain life. Beyond that, I can't rightly say what I'd voluntarily die for.

3: Is it more important to you to be right or to be liked? Why?
I'm used to not being liked, so I'd rather stick to what I believe is right. Of course, I'm fully willing to believe that whatever I believe is right isn't right, if for no more reason than a moron like me believes it's right, so it gets a bit tricky...

4: Who do you look up to most and what has he/she taught you? (This person does not need to be still living.)
Hmm... another toughie. I can't say I've ever had a specific idol or role model. Parents taught me stuff, of course, but that tends to fall under a different category.

5: What is the worst thing that ever happened to you in your life and how does it affect you today?
Well, the events of the tail end of 2005 were pretty nasty. Overall, though, the thing that most affected most of my life was when I learned that I had a speech impediment, and that people didn't understand half of what I was saying. Before that, I recall being rather talkative. To this day, you'd be hard-pressed to drag five words in a row out of me, even though the only letter I still have issues with is "r."

6: Ditto for the best thing.
Best thing... that would probably have to be discovering the internet. So many opportunities, so much information, so many ways to communicate without having to actually deal directly with human beings... an introvert's paradise.

7: What is your favorite book and why?
Varies by mood and season.

8: What would be your ideal day? What would you do? What would you eat? Would you be with people or by yourself?
An ideal day? I wouldn't be bugged by relatives when I'm trying to draw, write, or read, for one...

9: Do you need to do anything so badly that it makes you a bit crazy if you can't for some reason? What is it?
Time not being bugged by people, as implied in the previous answer. How I'd use this time - to create or read or goof off on the computer - would vary, but I need a little time each day when I know nobody's going to interrupt the internal train of pseudothought.

10: Is there any part (physical, mental, spiritual, etc.) of you that, if you lost it, it might not be worth going on?
I've always thought that losing one's mental facilities - not just middle age forgetfulness but brain damage or degenerative disease type of loss - would be the ultimate Hell.

11: What do you believe in - the sort of belief that goes to your very soul?
Since I tend to believe that most everything I believe is likely flawed, I don't tend to think about my beliefs so deeply. I suppose my primary belief is that we humans don't know a fraction of what we think we do, nor do we have the power we think we do over this world or this existence.

12: Do you have a creed/code/quote that you live by (or try to live by)? What is it?
One that I always liked, and which I came to rely on when things looked nasty, was a bit from Hatchet (Gary Paulsen): Self pity doesn't work. Brian considered this the first lesson in survival, that self pity doesn't solve or accomplish anything but wearing you out. I find that this lesson applies to pretty much any life situation you can think of.

13: If you had to sum yourself up for someone in 10 words or less, what would you say?
Sorry, but I cannot seem to summarize myself so succinctly.

2 comments:

PeppyPilotGirl said...

Thanks for doing the meme! It does make you think a bit, no?

How old were you when your speech impediment was diagnosed?

(upbophes - a handy way to cuss out two people with a single word.)

Brightdreamer said...

PPG - It was round about second/third grade... I gave up on speech therapy in 7th/8th grade on the grounds that not only had little more progress been made, but the school speech therapist didn't seem to have time to deal with me when she also had to oversee the special-ed class. (The straw that broke the camel's back was when she insisted she had a new method she wanted to try out next session, and I missed most of a class waiting for her to show up and she never bothered.)

And since I'm logged in on my own blog I don't get a secret word. Dang it.