Quote of the Moment

"It's never wrong to hope, Byx," said my mother. "Unless the truth says otherwise."
- from Endling #1: The Last, by Katherine Applegate

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Reverting

My brain's reverting to its natural state, the state of the night owl.

It started with the new year, round about the time I decided I needed to get serious about developing my creativity by devoting at least an hour a day to it, in some form or another. So perhaps that was the trigger: assuming that a brain works best on its natural rhythm, by trying to increase the trickle of creative juices, maybe it's fighting its way back to its old schedule. Maybe it was the excessive holiday-induced time off work I've had lately that reset my inner clock. Or perhaps its just one of those cycle shifts that happens for no apparent reason. But I've been up past 2 AM on most nights since the New Year... which means my brain wants to sleep in until 9:30 or 10 AM.

This wouldn't be a big problem, except everyone else in the family tends to be morning larks. (Dad's an exception, but he tends to catnap all day, so he's often up early, too.) Sleep until 10, and you not only run a greater risk of being awakened by others, but you've missed a good chunk of active household time... plus it leaves you with very limited options round about 9 or 10 PM, when at least half of the human household has shut down for the night and your brain is still wired up and ready to go. I normally spend that time in my room, which is why I try to shut down by midnight; there's only so long one can take being stuck in one room while conscious, even with the World Wide Web at one's beck and call.

It's also a Very Bad Thing insofar as my job goes, where I have to be out of the house by 8 and slinging books with some degree of competence and accuracy by 9. Granted, it's hard to fall asleep when working around loud machinery, but I do have to operate a motor vehicle to get there.

So I really need to remind myself to at least feign sleep round about midnight, or 1 AM at the latest. Natural cycle or not, I can't keep doing this. It'll make Wendesday morning all the more troublesome.

What? It's already 13 past 2 AM? On Tuesday?

Dang it...

3 comments:

Jade said...

:)
I did the same thing, and am being forced back into early mornings with school back in session.

Last night I was proud of myself for getting to bed before midnight, though I really should have hit the hay by 10, considering how tired I was.

Word: Elyrstan. It's a land of faeries and nymphs, where it is perpetually spring and the babbling brook meanders it's way around the deep forest to the town of Elyrsburg.

Brightdreamer said...

It would be so much more convenient if there were a nice "Off" switch on one's brain... physical fatigue doesn't seem to affect it one it's settled on a sleep pattern.

Today's word: pkider. P. Kider, author of The Elyrstan Chronicles, is a retired church organist who started writing children's books when she was shocked by the horrifically crude and terrifying titles in her grandchildren's library. The explicit violence of Hop On Pop alone was enough to send her to her typewriter to create more suitable fare for precious young minds. When she isn't working on her next Elyrstan book, she can be found knitting sweaters for local shelter dogs. She lives in rural Wisconsin with her husband of 37 years, five cats, two chickens, and a potbellied pig.

PeppyPilotGirl said...

My creativity works best at night too - unfortunately, I'm working then. While John, Katie, and I are all night people, it looks like Evie's going to be a, shudder, morning person.

jentrec: The French publishing house that took a chance on the unknown author P. Kider after American publishers turned her down scornfully for the lack of sex, violence, and inappropriate behavior in her children's literature.