Quote of the Moment

"It's never wrong to hope, Byx," said my mother. "Unless the truth says otherwise."
- from Endling #1: The Last, by Katherine Applegate

Monday, June 15, 2009

Free as a Dragonfly


This seems to be a good year for dragonflies. This guy was one of a pair who rested in an elderberry tree off our porch; they obligingly waited while I got my camera, and lingered long enough for several shots. Most others I've seen this year haven't been so photogenic, but they have been fascinating to watch. Just the other day, over at Grandpa's house, I wandered into the backyard and found myself surrounded by dragonflies. Huge, beautiful dragonflies, at least five at any given time. They circled and swooped and cornered and dove, moving in manners that seemed contrary to the laws of physics and nature. Not a one ever landed. I quickly gave up trying to capture them on camera. Instead, I simply stood there in there midst, letting them weave their aerial magic around me.

Okay, back to the title...

I'm writing this blog entry on the Little Black Critter, which has been sadly neglected of late. My excuse was that I didn't have a wireless connection to keep it updated, and I got tired of it constantly nagging me for something I couldn't provide without heading out of the house. (Yes, the ability to take one's computer and camp out at any given Starbuck's all day is one of the chief attractions of laptops for most people, but I'm a reclusive and antisocial beast who doesn't think nearly so well when surrounded by cell-phone yakking, caffiene-addicted people. Or most any people, to be honest.)

Back at Xmas, I received a gift card from a relative, which I'd intended to spend on remedying the LBC's connection woes. Alas, time kept slipping away, as time is wont to do, and I kept putting it off. The times I looked online for help, I only got more and more confused by an inpenetrable wall of terminology and conflicting product reviews. And so I cowered, and I waited, and yet more time slipped through my less-than-agile fingers.

As June arrived, the long-awaited digital conversion left us with an unexpected complication. We had thought, as cable customers, that we'd be safe from hassles. According to an e-mail sent out less than three weeks before D(igital)-Day, that wasn't the case. We ended up having to get cable boxes and digital converters installed, a process that turned into a much bigger headache than it ought to.

So I thought about it. It was six months into 2009. We're already wrestling a bunch of new boxes into the house. And the old router seemed a bit fidgety now and again. So, I figured to heck with it - I'm gettin' me a wireless router.

And so I did.

And if this blog entry, written in the living room on the Little Black Critter, publishes, I'll know everything is working right, leaving me with one more toy and one less excuse.

3 comments:

PeppyPilotGirl said...

Congrats! Hope your wireless works better than ours - old plaster walls don't allow signal transmission nearly as well as drywall.

Hope things are hanging in there. I probably missed this but what ended up happening with your car search?

Brightdreamer said...

PPG - So far, I'm happy with the new router. It's probably psychological, but it seems faster even on wired connections. (Our desktops are still hardwired.) As for wireless, I only lost one bar when I had the Little Black Critter at my workbench in the basement, at the opposite end of the house. If/when the pollen count dies down - we're on Day 28 without rain, and the grasses are so happy even Claritin can't keep up - I'd like to take it out into the yard to see what kind of range I have. (And, yes, I have a password, so the neighbors shouldn't be able to hijack the signal if they're so inclined.)

As for the car search, it ended in April with the Golden Taurus... and with the new, low loan rate the dealer managed to finagle for us. (I still can't get over how low that new rate is... and since I had intended to make a bigger down payment, I'm using that allowance to beef up my first few payments, which should trim a things down nicely towards the end of the loan period.)

prinyi - Foreign manufacturers of lead-based plaster used in older homes, specifically designed to confound the advent of wireless technology.

Jade said...

Cable is faster and more stable than wifi... it's not your imagination. But having wifi is nice... there are times I sit out on the back deck with the laptop and listen to the birds while I fidget online. Good times. :)

Coato - the measurement of the difference in speed between Cat5 cable and wifi.