Quote of the Moment

"It's never wrong to hope, Byx," said my mother. "Unless the truth says otherwise."
- from Endling #1: The Last, by Katherine Applegate

Friday, January 22, 2010

Ups and Downs

Yesterday, the crane at work was pitching a Mercury-retrograde snitfit.  On the other hand, I got four breaks in five hours, and I found 12 pieces to the puzzle in the break room. (Bit of an aside: we have running puzzles in the break room to keep us from going crazy, and the current one - a 2000-piecer - has been fighting us for ages.  At this point, it's a grudge match... and it feels all the sweeter when a piece finally locks into place.  So a 12-piece day is really a big thing.)  So work was an up and down thing.

I finally sold that phoenix drum at the store, and got a request for another drum.  Unfortunately, I completely slacked off and didn't do more than stare at the story in revision.  An up and down day.

Today, the crane was much happier at work, enabling us to take a good swipe at the backlog we'd accumulated.  On the down side, I caught my pants on a protuding bit of metal and got a nice-sized rip in the leg.  Didn't actually get me - the only thing wounded was my dignity - but I had to use bandages to tape up the rip for the last hour of work. (I keep bandages with me on the job because I sometimes catch nails or pick up papercuts.  Never thought I'd have to use them for field repairs of clothing...)

This really has been an up and down week, in retrospect... and it still technically has one day to go.

2 comments:

PeppyPilotGirl said...

I've found that life tends to be an up and down thing and all we can do is celebrate the up and ignore the down as best we can.

Woohoo re: the 12 pieces and the drums!!

canteni = Italian brand of freshly canned fruit

Brightdreamer said...

This week, I only managed maybe six or so pieces. It's a tough one... Van Gogh's Starry Night. (The Monday/Tuesday puzzle crew won't even work on it, but then half the reason we started this one is because we Wednesday-Friday folks got sick of all the frellin' Wysockis and country crud they kept picking. They actually have a second puzzle started; ours is on a board that we move back and forth.)

I hope to get the drum done by Monday evening (knock on nearest woodlike substance here.) I'm doing up two - one on white, one on black - because she didn't specify what color. I'm also going to try to do a Year of the Tiger drum, just to get myself back in the creative swing again.