Quote of the Moment

"It's never wrong to hope, Byx," said my mother. "Unless the truth says otherwise."
- from Endling #1: The Last, by Katherine Applegate

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Wet and Drying


Winters in the Pacific Northwest tend to be gray and damp... some winters more than others. Usually, though, we don't see actual flooding in December. But this is evidently an unusual year. This weekend, the Pacific Ocean sent its regards via the Pineapple Express. For those outside the region, this is a weather system bringing warmer temperatures and rain up from Hawaii to our doorsteps. The weather people blame various causes, mostly La Nina, for this particular storm. But whatever the cause, the end result is the same: too much water on too much pavement with too few natural wetlands left to cope. (One might think that there was a reason that broad, low river valleys were traditionally farmland rather than houses piled on top of each other... filled with people who seem just as surprised to find a river in their basement as they were last spring... but I digress.)

Anyway, with over six inches of rain in 24 hours, the little seasonal stream in our backyard decided to make a break for the lawn. In the hopes of preventing a catastrophic fence collapse (and a potential for basement flooding), I spent a fair portion of today wading out to poke holes in piled-up debris, trying to relieve the pressure and encourage the stream back into its usual banks. I couldn't actually reach the logjams behind the fence that were the cause of the whole problem, so every few hours I'd have to head back out and poke fresh holes in the accumulating debris. As one might imagine, it was rather a zero-sum effort in my part, but it seemed to help a bit... if temporarily.

Since all this water came from Hawaii, I suppose this counts as that tropical vacation I've always wanted...

Between bouts of battling the runaway stream, I've been hard at work in my new workshop* shed trying to finish the first round of holiday ornaments. Ideally, I should've shipped them last week - with any luck, I'll hit Friday, though the things have decided to fight me after several days of relatively smooth progress.

I'd be making more progress if paint didn't take so long to dry. I'd be even further along if it weren't so danged slippery outside that I can't risk trekking to my workshop after dark; flashlights don't make mud any less slippery...

Fortunately, the rain is supposed to be backing off to mere sprinkles for the week, giving us a chance to dry out. Hopefully, this means I can stop worrying about the stream attacking the fence and spend more time trying to salvage ornaments that seem dead-set on self-destruction.

* - Mom retrofitted one of her old storage sheds into a workspace for me, as a birthday/Xmas gift. I just got moved in about a week ago. Now I can work in my own space without having anyone peering over my shoulder... and without ambient dog hair to settle into drying paint.

2 comments:

Jade said...

"Since all this water came from Hawaii, I suppose this counts as that tropical vacation I've always wanted..." I laughed out loud at that one :)

Our easements backed up, and the thunder and rain the other night actually woke me (which is unheard of... I sleep like a hibernating bear) It was interesting to watch the people on the news talk about how their house has flooded 3 times in the last 2 years... when house hunting, my concern for flooding is one of the main reasons we stayed off the lake. I'd rather be iced in on the top of the hill once or twice a year than be flooded out at the bottom.

Brightdreamer said...

That thunder was something else... I had just crawled into bed when it looked like someone flashing a strobe light through my window. Didn't get out to see the hail, but the way it was coming down I was sure it was going to take down a few limbs, if not trees, with it...

It still amazes me that people not only buy homes in flood plains, but manage to live there for many years and be just as befuddled every single time the nearest river jumps the banks. (Way back when the defunct local comedy show Almost Live was on the air, they had a joke about all the usual-suspect rivers: -ish was a Native American word meaning "Don't ever build a house here.")