Quote of the Moment

"It's never wrong to hope, Byx," said my mother. "Unless the truth says otherwise."
- from Endling #1: The Last, by Katherine Applegate

Saturday, May 21, 2011

So Much for Promises

I'd rather hoped the world would be down a few nutcases by now, but apparently the promised Rapture didn't take place as scheduled. Which really sucks, as not only would it have helped our global overpopulation issues, but I'd already picked out my new car, new house, and new job based on the expected vacancies. Plus I'd be just as happy going about my daily life without fear of running into the sort of people whom God evidently likes enough to lift straight into the VIP afterlife club.

The Oatmeal explains the technical difficulties...

So, you may wonder, what have I been up to? Fortunately for you, not taking pointless pictures and composing blog posts about meaningless events in my life to justify posting them. Unfortunately for me, I haven't been doing much else, either. The year continues to slip past at the speed of a greased weasel on an espresso high. I have projects backing up that need finishing (or starting, in some cases.) About all I've excelled at is coming up with reasons to continue procrastinating.

On a not-entirely-unrelated note, I finally joined the 21st century about a decade late with the purchase of a cell phone. (Yep, those who know me can attest to my nonstop chattiness and overall gregarious demeanor, and will likely keel over in shock wondering how I got by without one for so long...) It's a cheap little prepaid number, mostly to enable me to contact family members if we have another incident on the scale of the Grandpa Catastrophe, or to call AAA if I find myself in need of roadside assistance. I literally just activated the thing, so I'm still figuring out what-all it can do. It claims to have a camera and Bluetooth compatibility, among other bells and whistles and shiny things I don't foresee myself ever having a need for. But, then, at one time I never foresaw myself needing the internet, so we'll see...

At the very least, figuring the thing out will allow me to procrastinate nicely.

Maybe by then God'll have debugged His heavenly teleporter and beamed up His more self-righteous followers, like He promised.

No comments: