Quote of the Moment

"It's never wrong to hope, Byx," said my mother. "Unless the truth says otherwise."
- from Endling #1: The Last, by Katherine Applegate

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Well, That was a Weekend...


Memorial Day Weekend's pretty much over (ten minutes to go as I type, so it'll be over by the time I post, I'm sure.) As usual, the family and I wandered down to the local Folklife Festival. Since few of the acts actively caught our eye, we mostly meandered about the grounds.


We first went down on Saturday. There seemed to be fewer vendors... at least, some of the ones we usually see around the grounds weren't here this year. But these guys were... they're called Tie Dye Everything, and they have pretty much any article of clothing you could ask for dyed in all manner of bright colors.


There were also the usual just-kinda-weird vendors about the grounds...


... but at least they had pretty stuff.


Despite urgings of the festival staff, people insist on bringing their dogs to the festival, often without bothering to bring dog water (or clean-up bags.) Some of the canines take the matter into their own hands... this one in particular couldn't get enough of the fountain. I don't think I'd seen a happier dog in ages.


Other animals have to earn their keep. Phineas here, an African Gray, put on a nice little show... though Malarkey could talk rings around this guy. (Probably not the kind of language you'd want around kids, though...)


"Lookit the giant tomato... Got little Timmy... Ate 'im all up."
Part of a new Children's Museum display in what used to be Fun Forest. Either that, or that radiation plume from Japan really wasn't as harmless as everyone said...


Hey, it wouldn't be Folklife without the weird-arse street musicians of variable talent...


We came back down on Monday (after a Sunday spent mowing Grandpa's lawn) to meet my aunt, my uncle, and my grandfather. I'd rather hoped to get a good family shot - we don't expect Grandpa to be around for that many more Folklifes - but it didn't happen... Anyway, while wandering around, I saw this peculiarity.

Guess that about does it. I suppose I ought to wander off and try squeezing in a bit of writing time before bed; I'm desperately far behind on revisions, and June's breathing down my neck, with the halfway-point of the year right on its heels.

2 comments:

Jade said...

Folklife looked very colorful this year! We ended up missing it due to yard work and getting side tracked by a trip to the bird store. (Having determined I am allergic to all things furry, and that G is no longer afraid of holding birds, we tentatively visited a parrot store on Mercer. G snuggled with a cockatoo and I didn't even have a hint of a hive - so we're now in the "what kind of bird to get" research stage)

Brightdreamer said...

As someone who has lived with a secondhand Gray for some years, I can say: Do Your Homework. Thoroughly. Cannot emphasize this enough. Many birds really don't make great pets; they can be demanding and some species live a very, very long time. They also can be messy and make some very interesting noises... and the talkers pick up some rather interesting vocabulary, not just from you but from the neighborhood owing to their phenomenal hearing. (Yes, I speak from experience. I have actually tracked a couple of Malarkey's "mystery phrases" to a house on the next street over, having heard them shouted in the same voice and inflection he uses. So even if you're good about watching your language, it's all for naught if you have a loud neighbor...) That said, cockatoos always struck me as sweet. Macaws, on the other hand...

It's a shame chinchillas aren't an option. Those guys were fun... no fleas, either.