Quote of the Moment

"It's never wrong to hope, Byx," said my mother. "Unless the truth says otherwise."
- from Endling #1: The Last, by Katherine Applegate

Monday, December 23, 2013

At Least The Year's Almost Over...

The other day, my car somehow threw its serpentine belt while turning a corner... which, for the curious, kills power steering and the engine coolant system, among other terrifying dashboard warnings.

I got it back from the shop today. They still don't know why it happened.

Internet research indicates that some (usually much older) cars can do this if the belt gets wet, especially if the shields aren't properly installed - and I did drive though a puddle just before it happened, though I've driven through countless puddles in the past without problems. (This is the Pacific Northwest, after all... puddles are an unavoidable road hazard.) The Taurus forums, on the other hand, seem to think tensioners or worn bearings are more likely culprits. These causes and others were investigated; aside from a slight possibility of rodent involvement, the shop remains clueless.

I used to trust this car. I thought I could count on the thing. Now I don't know if I'll ever be able to drive it in the rain without a white-knuckle grip on the steering wheel. And, no, I can't afford anything that would be remotely as reliable.

Part of me is glad that it didn't happen on a freeway or during a freezing snap or in the middle of nowhere. Part of me is glad I have AAA and was carrying a cell phone. Part of me is glad I got my car back fast and with little financial damage.

Another part of me is just sick of this year, where "it could be worse" is as good as it seems to get.

No comments: