Quote of the Moment

"It's never wrong to hope, Byx," said my mother. "Unless the truth says otherwise."
- from Endling #1: The Last, by Katherine Applegate

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Interlude with Sunrise

Just checkin' in to kill time before I have to start dinner.

 A quick run-down of the first month of 2014 (so far):

- My car is probably headed for another breakdown. There's an intermittent warbly-whistly noise, not unlike those old-fashioned bird whistles (the ones you put water in and blow through), but thus far I cannot predict or replicate it reliably enough to convince the shop that it exists. No, I don't know that this is a harbinger of trouble, but I've driven junkers too long to write off a strange new noise as "just" a strange new noise.

- On a related note, I discovered that whoever designed Tauruses must have been a contortionist; there is no way a human being can replace a tail light on that thing without physically climbing into the trunk to reach the necessary bolts. Three or four arms also seem to be a requirement.

- I got all my info for the new health care plan, but I'm going to have to change my assigned provider to someone closer to home; I don't consider 15 miles in our traffic to be "local." (I'm still hoping to avoid actually using it for anything but avoiding a tax penalty; even with coverage, I can't afford to be ill.)

- I'm taking a break from my longer writing projects to work on short stories, on the likely-flawed assumption that, being shorter, I can write more of them faster and thus learn what the heck I'm doing more quickly; with luck, I'll have something to show for it by the end of the month.

- Absolutely nothing else worth noting has occurred, which I suppose is a good thing given how 2013 went. I am slightly miffed by the weather, though, which insists on being foggy and cruddy whenever I have days off and beautiful when I have to work. The above sunrise, for instance, was photographed in the parking lot of a post office this morning as I was driving in for overtime. (I'm especially ticked because I got a nice new camera for Xmas - a Sony with a 50X zoom that, amazingly, also seems to take pretty good macros - and I want to try the thing out on something other than the back yard.)

I suppose that's enough procrastination for now.

2 comments:

Jade said...

Winter is always slow for me when it comes to shooting due to the weather (4 years in a row, I've missed the eagles invading Skagit due to weather being too unruly, or life getting in the way) However... Snoqualmie Falls can be interesting to shoot even if the weather is crummy. The fog can be a nice mood, so long as it is thin enough to see the falls.

Brightdreamer said...

Jade - I'm saving long (or even long-ish) trips until I get my car issues taken care of. Fortunately, it seems to have finally revealed its problem, or at least one that I can point to when I call the shop. Definite coolant leak, linked to a probable failing water pump. (Which I still think started when the danged serpentine belt slipped and the engine temperature spiked, but I doubt I can prove it.)
Hopefully, the coming cold snap will give me something to shoot. I got some nice macro shots of frost crystals during the last hard freeze. Well, nice by my standards, at least...