Quote of the Moment

"It's never wrong to hope, Byx," said my mother. "Unless the truth says otherwise."
- from Endling #1: The Last, by Katherine Applegate

Sunday, November 01, 2009

Fall Behind - Er, Back

So, tonight's the night we finally get our magic missing hour back.  The relief of sleeping in one hour late only lasts about a week, but it still feels nice.  Besides, I could use all the extra time I can manage to scrounge, which makes the magic hour all the more welcome.

I started holiday-related projects in early October - much earlier than usual - and I'd hoped to be further along than I am.  By my estimates, I'm about half a week behind where I wanted to be by now.  I may have to come up with a way to shorten Paperclay drying time, so I can squeeze in extra work sessions.

I also did something stupid and impulsive on Friday Night.  I signed up for NaNoWriMo.  This, for all none who don't know of it, is the National Novel Writing Month challenge to produce a flawed but finished 50,000 word  novel (rough, rough draft, obviously) in 30 days.  The 30 days of November, to be precise.  Which, if you're counting, started today, two hours ago.

Oh, wait - one hour ago.

Thank you, magic hour!

Why?  Well, why not?  I feel like I'm making minimal progess in my "regular" stories (the fact that I call them my "regular" stories shows just how long I've been stuck on them), and the whole point of NaNoWriMo is to crystalize the "sit down, shut up, and WRITE!" mentality that actually gets stories finished as opposed to picked at and muddled and ultimately lost.  Besides, my unofficial participation last year (which netted me a 30,000+ word novel, which was my goal) felt oddly invigorating, so I thought I'd up the stakes this year.  So far, I have 2000-odd words written.  Only 48,000 to go...

Here's hoping I don't fall further behind.  Now that we've fallen back, there aren't any more magic hours waiting up ahead to save me.

1 comment:

PeppyPilotGirl said...

That's a lot of words.
Hey, what are you reading comments for? You need to be writing - shoo, shoo!!

moint: mwint n., also mo-int, additional information